Monday, January 2, 2017

Remembering Theron Jay Egg Sr

(Updated Dates on January 2, 2020)

I THINK THAT A BIRTHDAY IN HEAVEN might be along the lines of what we call a funeral here on Earth. Some years ago today, my surviving siblings and I stood with my mom at my father's bedside in the early morning hours. Many of our spouses were there, having just said our final earthly goodbyes to dad.

Mom & Dad (Circa June 1963)


What a sweet celebration it must be for those welcoming him back on the other side! After all, life is a test; a necessary step in our Eternal progression, and quite possibly the most perilous and important step in our journey toward Eternal exaltation.  A lot of us lose our way, but many find it again before returning back to God's presence.

Dad was one of those that just stayed on the path.  I am firm in my conviction to follow his example, and return with honor.  I've remembered a few fun facts about him in years past, and here they are again.

Quick Facts About Theron Egg, Sr


Name                   Theron Jay Egg, Sr
Spouse                 Carol Lucille Anderson
Children              9 (6 boys, 3 girls)
Occupation          Teacher
Born                     January 25, 1937
Home                   January 2, 2012 


HOW IS IT THAT I'M 55 YEARS OLD this year, and I’m still just beginning to realize just how amazing my dad is?

My heart is filled with reverence for the labors and example of my dad. I revere him.  Memories of his example are etched deep into the fabric of my very being.  Any goodness in me can be traced back to his teachings and example.

I realize more all the time the impact of seemingly simple experiences with my dad that have impacted me.  One comes to memory from the fall of 1980.

Jay Egg Heading Out For a Date in the 1964 Dodge
I had a date with Susan Canazoles, and dad told me that I could take the 1964 Dodge Station Wagon. It had a push button transmission and no seat belts. People weren’t really taking the seat belt law serious anyway back in 1980.

I’m sure the date went well, and I returned home a little later than I had promised.  I seem to remember being pleased that it was not quite midnight when I walked into the well-lit (meaning dad was waiting up) living room of our ranch style home outside Barstow, Ca. I could see dad sitting back looking calm and content, even before the music registered in my ears.

Dad Was Playing "Van Halen" When I Came Home
“Van-Halen II” was playing on the brand new home stereo that dad had just purchased and set up.  Registering all of this in my mind, I grabbed the other recliner and enjoyed the lead guitar solo, pleased that my father was enjoying some of “my” music.  I wasn’t fooled for a minute. I knew this was his way of bonding, and I loved it. He listened to the entire album that night with me. We talked about the band’s impressive skills and the stories behind some of the songs; sometimes they were my stories and memories relating to the music. This was all about me, and I loved it. I remember it as an ever present experience, even closer than breathing; like he’s here right now.

Is it any wonder that I never complained once as I drove my kids to seminary and listened to hundreds of hours of the newest releases of their favorite music? What is amazing is that until this moment, I thought that I was pretty amazing for doing that with my kids. Pretty silly huh? …just when I think I’m “all-that”, I remember that my dad did it first. Chalk another one up for dad.  Oh, how I love him.

He’s with Father in Heaven now, which means that I have two “Fathers in Heaven”.  Their influence and imprint on what I have become is sweet and rich. No wonder, that Father in Heaven wants us “boys” to experience fatherhood. We begin to understand why it is that He (God, our Father) is so amazing as we pass our love forward to our families.

It’s times like these that I begin to understand the plan of happiness for us here.  I want to pass it forward with all my heart.  I want my family, and all with whom I come into contact to know what remarkable fathers I have.



Watch This Awesome Video for Dad (Thanks Alexi Gonzalez!)

Egg Family Circa 1982



Egg Family Circa 1989 (Jay's "beard" phase!)

No comments:

Post a Comment